In high school, I began thinking of the type of girl I would like to marry someday. After some deliberation, I came to the conclusion that I had such high standards, that the kind of girl I wanted to marry would never date a guy like me. So, I began hunting through scripture in search for what I called “Chick Chapters.” The name is a little misleading. These are some of the passages that had special meaning to me while I was attempting to become the man that Rachel would want to marry. She would say that I am he. I think I still have work to do.
1 Cor 13
- Do I truly Love her?
1 Peter 3:7
- Do I treat her as a co-heir?
- Do I treat her as a precious vessel? (Created by the master potter?)
- Do I recognize her needs and weaknesses?
- Am I trying to serve her or myself?
- Can I do all of these things? (even if I don’t get them in return?)
- 25: Do I agape her as Christ does the church? (see 1 Cor. 13)
- 26: Do we cleanse one another with the washing of water by the word? (Or study God’s word together?)
- 33: Do I give her the reason to respect me? Or do I sow the seeds of contempt in her heart for me?
- Is our relationship a picture of Christ and the Church?
- Do we point others to God through our relationship?
Matt 25:14-30 – Parable of talents:
- If God puts me in charge of small things and I don’t do well…
- If I’m not a good steward in the things I’m given now,
- What makes me think that he will put me in charge of larger things?
- Faithful in small things == Faithful in Big things
- Unfaithful in small things == Unfaithful in Big things.
1 Sam 1:8
- Love Self-Sacrificially.